Meet the Hosts
In this bootcamp we’ve once again teamed up with an expert within the field
Have you worked in the corporate sector for several years? Do you want to explore new ways to leverage your experience to contribute to the corporate sector?
Do you have a decade or more of experience in finance, law, management, sales, marketing, research, corporate governance, operations or other areas related to a company’s business?
Are you retired/approaching retirement and considering lucrative part-time options to generate income and also utilise your decades of work experience?
You can become an independent director, and be appointed to the board of directors of large companies in India.
This is a part-time gig which carries incredible prestige and you can earn a substantial amount for being a part of the board of companies.
Every listed company, a large public company with paid up share capital in excess of INR 10 crores or turnover of more than INR 100 crores or outstanding loans, debentures and deposits is more than INR 50 crore or a funded startup which plans to do an IPO, must appoint at least one-third independent directors to its board if its a public listed company and at least 2 independent directors if its a public unlisted company.
However, to be appointed as an independent director, you need to clear a one-hour online proficiency self-assessment test organised by Indian Institute of Corporate Affairs, and have your name entered in a database called the Independent Directors’ Databank, which only takes about 3 months’ preparation.
The test will assess your knowledge of company law, securities law, corporate governance, corporate social responsibility, and some aspects of accounting and finance.
The demand for independent directors is very high:
- However, only 10,798 people have passed this online test currently, and approx. 20,800 names are on the data bank as of Nov. 2022.
- At least 5-10 times more independent directors are needed right now!
- Factors like digitisation post pandemic, government reforms such as UPI, formalisation, and high economic growth potential of India are encouraging more informal sector businesses to create corporate structures, raise venture capital funding and scale up, so the opportunity is expanding.
- As an independent director, you have to attend board meetings of listed companies, go through their financial documents, ask questions to ensure that appropriate checks and balances are in place, and you can earn really really well doing this.
- This opportunity carries immense prestige. There is no retirement age, it is part-time, and your past work experience continues to give you rich rewards, once you have cracked the proficiency test and your name is in the databank.
- Even if you are a CEO, a CXO, a startup founder or an executive director, clearing this test indicates that you are conversant with corporate governance best practices.
- Do you want to explore this further?
- We are here to help you identify if this is the right opportunity for you, how to prepare for and clear the test, and get started with building relationships with potential clients.
Join us for our 2-day bootcamp on ‘How can experienced professionals become Independent Directors’ from March 18-19, 3.00-6.00 pm IST.REGISTER NOW
Who should attend the bootcamp?
- People who have worked for a decade or more in the corporate sector in any position
- CEOs, CFOs, COOs, and other C-Suite Level executives of businesses which are targeting IPO in the next 2-3 years
- HR managers
- Other specialists in finance, law, management, sales, marketing, research, corporate governance, operations or other areas related to a company’s business
- Lawyers, accountants, company secretaries with a decade or more of experience
- Anyone who has retired or is approaching retirement and is exploring lucrative post-retirement career options
Day-wise focus for the bootcamp:
Why is the demand for independent directors increasing? Who is ideally suited for this role? How can you prepare for and crack the self-assessment test?
What are the duties and responsibilities of an independent director? How much can you earn? How can you find your first few clients? What is the roadmap?
Here are some quick steps to get a certificate for the bootcamp:
Leave a review of your experience (good, bad, ugly) in the comments section of the Linkedin and Twitter post links (shared during the live session) at the end of each day, for all days. If you do not have an account on any of these channels, please create one right away, it only takes a few minutes.
Please send a screenshot of your posts and queries about the certificate if any to [email protected] We will send you a certificate in 10 days