This course is recognized by the National Skill Development Corporation, a PPP under the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship of the Government of India. You will receive a certificate cobranded by NSDC and Skill India on successful completion.
- Are you a commerce, finance, accounting, or economics student who is still in college looking for an extra source of income?
- Are you a graduate or experienced professional from commerce background (BCom/ MCom) looking for a remote job option which you can pursue from home?
- Are you a CA / CS trainee tired of not being able to earn enough and wondering when things will get better?
- Are you a freshly qualified chartered accountant or company secretary looking for a job?
- Any graduate or experienced professional earning less than 1 lakh per month who wants to earn more?
Performing remote tax compliance work for US SMEs, startups, CPAs and clients is a fantastic opportunity.
You have a massive cost advantage over accountants and CPAs in the US, who charge approximately USD 300/hr for their clients!
Acceptance of remote work all over the world after the pandemic has made it 10x easier for Indians in other areas apart from coding to get remote jobs as well.
If you just charge USD 10 per hour (lower than minimum wages) and work for 200 hours per month, you can earn as much as USD 2000 per month initially!
Many Indians from small cities are already doing these assignments!
It is possible for you to work on international assignments and earn in dollars sitting in India, without having to get a US visa.
In fact, earning a dollar is easier than earning a rupee!
At Skill Arbitrage, we are teaching our students how to get work in the US as remote freelancers and charge between USD 10-30 per hour and earn upto USD 2000 per month through such work.
This avenue has opened up in a big way after the pandemic, thanks to people getting used to remote work.
Plus, the rise of the gig economy and freelance culture in the USA has increased the volume of work being given across to highly talented remote workers in low-cost jurisdictions such as India.
Those who start now have a huge early mover advantage as there is almost no competition in this area right now.
Who should take this course?
- Commerce, accounting, finance, economics or taxation students who are still in college looking for an extra source of income
- Graduates or experienced professionals from commerce background (BCom/ MCom) looking for a remote job option without leaving the comfort of home or who are forced to work from home, but has access to a computer and stable internet connection
- Any graduate or experienced professional earning less than 1 lakh per month who wants to earn more
- You can perform US tax compliance work sitting at your home in India as it is online and still earn a lot more than you can by performing domestic work for clients
- It does not matter if you are a CA or CS, or a registered CPA in US
- Accountants/ company secretaries/ compliance professionals who want to perform US tax compliance work for foreign CPAs, corporate secretaries, startups in US or other countries which are expanding to the US
What will you learn from this course?
- You will learn domestic US tax compliance work and you can perform it online sitting at your home
- You will be able to assist US entrepreneurs and small business owners with tax requirements for setting up and running a new business
- You will learn the tax implications for the most common types of business transactions involving US companies or US residents
- You will be able to assist US businesses which are planning their international expansion strategy on US tax implications
- You will be able to assist foreign businesses which intend to expand to the US on US tax implications
Who will be your potential clients
- US tax lawyers, CPAs and corporate secretaries who need assistance with tax filing work of their clients
- US businesses and startup founders who need tax assistance
- Foreign entrepreneurs who need tax guidance with respect to establishing business presence in the US
- Indian startup entrepreneurs and businessmen who want to expand their business offshore
What is unique about this course?
- This course aims to impart a wide range of US tax compliance skills to the participants, which would enable them to take up remote freelance work on US tax compliance directly or through various freelancing websites on the internet and will instil in them the required confidence to generate global clientele over the internet.
- We will also guide you in developing your online presence as a tax compliance Paralegal through various freelancing platforms such as Upwork, Fiverr, People Per Hour, etc. and through social media networks such as Linked In, Facebook, etc.
- By the end of this course, you can expect to have secured enough skills to be able to take up paralegal work assignments from startups, small and medium sized companies in the US as well as law firms/CPA firms/corporate secretaries in the US.
- You will also be equipped to assist international startups and other businesses with their US tax needs as a paralegal.
- The course is tough and intensive, you will not be awarded the certificate unless you complete the required number of assignments. You will have to invest 7-8 hours per week in developing your skills, in addition to the classes on this course.
- You will have interactive classes with high-quality discussions which will be taken by the experts of this course. You can get all the doubts resolved in the classes or even outside the classes through course groups and email.
- You will get personal attention and coaching from our trainers who will be assigned to you, and have access to a dedicated course anchor who will help you with submissions or any guidance or issues you may have as you progress through the course.
- You will receive in-line feedback for the assignments you submit, which will improve your performance to a significant extent. You can upload the corrected assignments on Upwork as your work samples as well.
- You will have access to other doubt clearing mechanisms also, in addition to the online classes such as a discussion forum where queries are responded to within a period of 24 hours, a Discord group that will include your peers and batchmates as well as the course anchor, evaluator and support team from Skill Arbitrage.
- You will be trained in writing for six writing assignments during the term of the course and if these are of publishable quality, these shall be published on the iPleaders blog which sees a footfall of more than two million visitors a month.
What kind of assignments will you get?
- Prepare a chart of compliances under federal and state tax laws that must be undertaken by a startup which is incorporated in: New York
- Advise a US entrepreneur on US tax implications for all of the following business structures: proprietorship, unlimited partnership, LP, LLP, LLC, C-Corp and S-Corp
- Prepare necessary forms for annual tax filing of a US C-Corp, S-Corp, LLC, LLP, LP
- Advise an Indian/Canadian client who has incorporated a US company on implications of US tax laws and the US-India DTAA/US-Canada Tax Convention
- Advise and fill necessary tax returns for a US citizen who has been living in Singapore or UK
- Prepare or review a financial plan of a startup which intends to raise Series A funding
- Compare different state tax (including Franchise Tax) rates applicable to companies in Delaware, New York, Nevada, Wyoming, Texas, Florida and California
- Advise a client on the procedure for claiming tax credit under a DTAA of US with another country and prepare necessary form filings
- Advise a US company on withholding tax implications with respect to payments made to foreign subsidiaries - also prepare necessary form filings
- Advise a US private equity investor on company on US taxation upon exit
- Advise an Indian or foreign employee on US tax implications of acquiring shares pursuant to ESOPs and upon sale of ESOPs
- Advise a client in Wyoming on applicability of tax laws on sale of Bitcoin worth USD 500K and fill necessary forms
- Advise a US client who runs a Shopify store/Amazon FBA store on applicability of US tax laws (products are purchased through Alibaba and despatched to buyers all over the world)
- Draft or review a related party contract for supply of services or license of brand name between a holding company and a subsidiary. Identify appropriate transfer pricing methods and markups.
24/7 online access to all materials - study at your convenience
Access to basic study material through online learning management system, Android and iOS app. Recordings of all classroom sessions will be available.
Hard copy study material covering important chapters
Hard copy study material modules to be couriered to your address in India.
2 practical exercises every week, followed by written feedback.
Live Online Classes to Teach Specific Work
There will be a live video-based online class to teach you specific US corporate law work performed by paralegals. You can ask questions, share your screen, get personal feedback in this class. Every week there will be approx. 1-1.5 hours of class to teach you the work and give you feedback. There will be recordings available in case you miss a class.
Convenient Class timings
Classes are held after regular work hours. Typically classes are kept on Sundays or 8-9 pm on other days.
Live Doubt Clearing
You can ask questions in class, or on the learning management system when you read a chapter. You can also schedule a one-on-one session with evaluators to perform exercises or write articles.
If you take this course, follow it diligently for a month, do all the exercises but still do not find value in it, or not able to understand or follow it or not find it good for any reason, we will refund the entire course fee to you. It is a 100% money-back guarantee with only one condition, you must pursue it properly for a month. If you don’t find it valuable after that, get your entire money back.
Client Opportunities & Recruitment Support where required
- Many employers, law firms and companies are happy to recruit our high performing students. If you do well in your exercises and classes, we can help you to get jobs, internships and assessment internships in good law firms, with renowned lawyers as well as in various companies.
- Our team helps our students in building their profile on LinkedIn and freelancing platforms to increase their reach to potential recruiters or clients.
- Our experts guide the students on how to crack any interview.
- On-demand, we provide mock interviews for our students looking for jobs.
- We share multiple internship/recruitment opportunities every week on our Whatsapp group.
- We help our students to get internships not only at law firms and chambers but also with rising startups in diverse sectors.
- Our mentorship helps students to avoid running in the rat race behind the regular job openings; rather we help them design their own path based on their personal interests.
- We share multiple and diverse client opportunities with our pool of practicing advocates on a daily basis. Our references have helped several advocates really scale up their practice. The opportunities range from contract drafting to complex international taxation matters.
Industry Academia Panel
Senior Standing Counsel, Delhi High Court, Ex-IRS, Ex Senior Partner, AZB and Partners, teaches international tax
Co-founder and Chief Knowledge Officer, SkillArbitrage, former in-house counsel and company secretary with over a decade of experience in securities, funds and capital markets
Online Faculty and Guest Faculty
Overview of Corporate and Personal Income Tax in the US
How to navigate the US Internal Revenue Code
Administrative and Judicial Pronouncements
Tax rates on income of the following categories of persons (US citizens) and US tax residents:
Individuals/ Proprietorships (Not a separate taxable entity)
Limited Liability Companies
Companies (C-Corp & S-Corp)
Grantor and non grantor trusts
Check the box election
Federal tax rate on common categories of income:
Capital gains - Long and short term - meaning (on sale of shares, real property, or collectibles )
Wages and Salaries
Non-cash based income such as ESOPs and sweat equity
Licence fees earned by directors
Other Federal taxes on Income of Individuals
Alternative minimum tax
- Discussion on Corporate AMT - repealed effective Jan 1, 2018
- Corporate Alternative Minimum Tax effective for taxable years beginning after December 31, 2022
FICA (Social Security and Medicare Tax)
Obamacare Tax or Net Investment Income Tax
Deductions and relaxations under US Tax Laws
Standard deductions under Federal tax law
Brief discussion on itemized deduction repealed effective Jan 1., 2018
Deductions for business expenses
Expense deductions for US-based freelancer/professional who works from home
Tax relaxations for small businesses
Emerging themes under US Tax Law
Tax implications for companies incorporated by non U.S. individuals or non U.S. holding companies in India, Canada or other countries
Treatment of income of the US company and the shareholder/parent company under US tax law
Taxation on repatriation (Dividends)
How US taxes digital platforms and businesses
How US taxes gig workers
Treatment of Virtual Currencies: IRS Notice 2014-21 and FAQs
How to perform tax compliance work for US residents and US businesses
How to find out whether US Tax Law apply to your client
How to register with the I.R.S. - EIN / ITIN / State VAT
Important tax compliances for employers/companies based in the US
Important form filings for tax compliance in the US for all of the above scenarios
Form 1040, Form 1040-ES, Form 1040 SR
Form 1120, Form 1120-S, Form 1120-F
International Reporting for US taxpayers
Taxation of important business transactions in the US
Tax on US Distributors, Partners and Resellers of Indian or other non-US SAAS companies
Tax on Drop-Shipping Transactions
Tax on ESOPs and Sweat Equity
Types of share based incentives: ESOPs, SARs, RSUs and Phantom stock
When is tax payable with respect to a transaction involving ESOPs, RSUs, SARs or phantom stock?
Tax implications in respect of the following share based transactions
ESOPs held by US employees in a US company
ESOPs held by foreigners living in the US receiving ESOPs of a foreign company
ESOPs held by foreign employees (living outside) in a US company
Taxation of corporate and M&A transactions:
Investments and Acquisitions
Taxation of corporate and bank financings
Taxation of conversions from one form of business to another
Taxation of International Income by the US: Key Scenarios
Taxation of non U.S. individuals and corporations
Effectively Connected Income
Overview of US Double Tax Avoidance Treaty Network
Review of US-Canada and US-India Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement
Fee for Technical Services
Tax Information Exchange Provisions
Tax Credit / Refund Provisions
Limitation on Benefits
Reporting on US tax return if a treaty position is taken
Withholding tax on international payments made from US
How US taxes foreign income of a US citizen who lives in the US
How US taxes income of a US citizen who lives abroad
Foreign Earned Income Exclusion
Social Security Tax - Totalization Agreements
How US taxes income of a foreigner (e.g. Indian/Canadian) who has incorporated a US company as a subsidiary or a parent company for his business
How US taxes subsidiaries of foreign businesses under US tax laws
How US taxes income of offshore subsidiaries of US companies under US tax laws
Not possible to cover in this Module. This is a separate devil that will probably require at least one if not two modules depending on the module length
How US taxes foreign corporations in which US shareholders have significant shareholdings (controlled foreign corporations or CFCs) - seems like the same issue as above but worded differently
What to do in case of conflict between IRC and US DTAAs with other countries
Implications of violation of tax laws in the US
What happens if you are found to be in violation of US tax laws? Understanding of the following:
Garnishment of income and Property Levy
Imprisonment for criminal fraud
Investigative powers of IRS:
Search and seizure
Attachment of property and freezing of bank accounts
Typical stages in a tax proceeding
Types of notices that you may receive from tax authorities
Which authorities hold tax proceedings
What happens if you are found to be in violation of US tax laws
Which forums can you appeal to and on what grounds
How to settle US Tax Proceedings:
Offer in compromise
Request for Appeal of Offer in Compromise,
Lookback provisions and record-keeping requirements for accounts in US tax laws
Overview of state income taxes in the US
Personal and corporate income tax rates in:
State capital gains taxes
State Sales taxes - applicability and payment
Important compliance requirements and forms
Overview of franchise taxes in the above states
Transfer taxes for transfer of immovable property
Applicability of Foreign Accounts Tax Compliance Act (FATCA)
Key obligations under FATCA
Compliance requirements and other legal work under FATCA
Form 8938, Statement of Specified Foreign Financial Assets
FinCEN Form 114
Consequences of violation of FATCA provisions
incl. of all charges
Printed study material (by courier)
2 practical exercises/ Drafting exercises per week (24 weeks)
6 writing assignments
1-2 online live class/week
Get digital access to entire study material
Access on LMS, Android & iOS app
Instructor feedback on assignments
Doubt clearing on Discord, LMS & classes
Instructor led course with online live classes
Online exams (give exams as per your convenience on given time slots)
Certificate (by courier)
Coaching for professional networking
Internship, job and freelancing support
Interview preparation support
Networking with students & alumni
Content access for 3 years
Doubt clearing within 24 hours
Top performers are recommended for jobs and client opportunities